!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> Hans Joachim Ilgen Solar Eclipse 2015 - Experiences and results
3. My experiences and results
Keine Angabe

My camera was set up and adjusted quickly, while the rest of my family devoted itself to the event (see: Fig. 32 last page).
I got no problems with the first shots. And I even could identify a sunspot on the full solar disk. (see: picture sequence on the left, Fig. 33).
An test series suggested that the best pictures will arise with a point-metering.
The standard self-timer was sufficient to prevent blurred images.
I could achieve an approximately good picture quality assessment by using the electronic zoom of the display.
Since I was working without tracking, I had to adjust the camera after every third image anyway.

But there were also unexpected problems:

  • Every now and then the autofocus refused its service.

    I guess, the reasons were, either some haze in the sky or the uneven solar protective filter at my camera. In this situation, the automatic trigger lock had proved useful. I shot fewer but reasonably sharp images and the overall situation turned out to be less stressful.

  • Despite of using dot-metering, I could not always exclude, that some images were outshone at the edge of Sun.

  • Overall, with this setup the limits of my lens, respectively focus, distortions and color fringing, have been exhausted to the extreme.

At 10:45 CET, when the maximum of the eclipse was exceeded, suddenly most of the amateur photographers packed their equipment and departed.

It became silent at Ludwig's-tower.

Just now, I noticed that the temperature had fallen remarkably. Of course, the moon stops the radiation emanating from the sun - the thermal radiation - which actually represents the lion's share of solar spectrum.

For the next hour I calmly documented the continuation of the solar eclipse.
Later I found, that it was bad to change my location around 11:00 CET. I wanted to prevent, that some treetops came into my pictures, while looking at the sun.

A total of 110 images were taken in the 2.5 hours. I chose ten for the illustration of the penumbral solar eclipse event (see: picture sequence on the left,
( Fig. 33).
Almost all images include the sunspot, except for those in which the black Moon obscured this. It appealed to me to have this spot as a reference at all of my images.
To achieve this I had to change my originals in a tricky way by using the software photoshop:
I overlaid my first image of the uncovered sun with all selected photos, declining their blackness by 50 %. By this the moon will no longer appear completely black and the sunspot gets visible.
To look at the photos in large format, please click here. (Fig. 34: Compilation of my image sequence).

Go on to: 4. Evaluating the image sequence

Back to directory
Back to top